Tax News & Blog‎ > ‎

June 17th - U.S. Expat Tax Deadline Around the Corner

posted Jun 13, 2013, 9:54 AM by Krozel Capital   [ updated Jun 13, 2013, 9:59 AM ]

There are only five days left until the 2012 expat tax filing deadline. If you need help filing an extension, please contact me as I can Efile one for you as part of a tax preparation engagement. If you also need to pay any taxes, I can set up an electronic funds withdrawal from a U.S. bank account direct to the IRS or provide a voucher for you to mail with a check.

There are two types of extensions for U.S. expats:

Form 4868 – if you have been living overseas since before January 1, 2012 this is most likely the extension you will need to file.

Form 2350 – if you moved overseas in 2012, there is a possibility that you may need to file this extension instead.

Note that all extensions are only extensions to FILE taxes, but do not extend the time to pay your taxes…so if you think you owe it may be beneficial to make a payment now. The penalties for not filing are actually higher than the penalties for not paying, so always best to file an extension even if you can’t make a payment. Late payments will accrue penalties of .5% per month and interest at 3%.

If you try to contact the IRS, all offices will be closed on Friday June 14th due to budget cuts. See my last posting IRS Inconsiderate of Expat Tax Filing Deadline. If you need assistance, please contact me through email at, Skype at kaitlinkrozelcpa, or my U.S. phone at (619) 997-7320 (Pacific Standard Time).